About my header

My shed is my header by my son Darrell, He painted the Robin for me and said that it reminded him of me. Because Robins use other birds nest and if there is an egg in it, they will take care of it just like its their own. He said thats what I do, I have always taken care of others in need of a home when I come across someone in need. Isnt that Sweet, I had told him I wanted a bird and this is the one he chose. Robins have solid blue eggs which are the symbols for him and his brothers and the speckled egg are the others I have taken into my home. It was very touching to me because he researched his piece, He is a true artist and has lots of great jobs. my neighbor had hers done to

Sunday, July 28, 2013

PAPER PIECE BOOK BLOCK FOR ZAKKA PATCHWORK

Week 8 in the Zakka 2.0 Sew-along, Patchwork Please, sewing up the last project in the kids chapter and features a fun quilt with a paper-pieced block called Books for baby 

zakka 2.0

I didnt exactly do books for babys, I did a scrappy and sew history floor pillow, size is 24x24 over stuffed made with Essex Linen and Scraps that are at my feet as I sew. .  Now my grandbabies can sit in my studio and doodle or mess up the buttons..as they do. I  will show the scraps on the floor, Everyone in my house plays with them. 
This pillow has personal history for me.There are a piece of fabric from some of my favorites, or makes a statement of what I love, like cross-stitching and my scissors. Also, some that I wanted to slice, I love working with linen its very forgiving. I wish that I had the skills to do more FMQ. Watch for what I tried. LOL.... I am going to have to take a class, I was afraid my machine was going to eat  The Center block I made it personal, a practice PP with triangles, Also a cross-stitch piece, and a bird symbolizing Simple Sew.

It took me a bit to figure out how to reverse the pattern to make some books go the other direction. Once I figured it out, it was easy but I didnt want an entire baby blanket of books. Each Block has a special sewing memory for me. 



Trying to decide lay out

One of the Scrap lovers in my house

I use a light box to trace the design on the back of the paper,
 I am a messy Paper Piecer..


I finally got to use my Rotating Board, makes trimming easy

 Look at my FMQ, Do you think I need practice.. LOL



I love the Pattern Fabric, it has so many possibilities 

This shows you its a Big Pillow and the cool fabrics. 

Sorry about the pictures, my camera is in the shop. I have been sewing some this summer, but family and summer is a busy time for Gandma's. 

Have a fun and safe one

Peace, Shirley 
plum and june http://plumandjune.blogspot.com/
LINKING UP WITH 

4 comments:

  1. such a great idea to make it into a pillow. Hope you are having a lovely summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great pillow - nice variation on the project!

    ReplyDelete